Re: 22.9 oslc-op Weekly Contributors Meeting

"Eran Gery"

Ed

Please review the link ownership text

Link ownership

In bi-derctional linking scenarios both OSLC participants are aware of links across their owned resources and enable link visibility and navigation at each side. Nevertheless, storing a link at both sides is considered an ill-practice as it is essentially replication of data. This may result in inconsistencies as links are updated or deleted, since maintaining consistency requires synchronization across the providers on any update. Therefore, the recommended practice is to store links on one of the participants, and use link discovery by the other participant. Therefore, there needs to be an agreed convention on which side should store the link. OSLC links have an incoming and outgoing sides, determined by the role of the link. Usually one side will have an active predicate name, for example "implements" and the other side will have a passive predicate name, in this example it would be "implemented by". The active side is also considered the outgoing side, and the passive the incoming side. The convention is that the link is stored with the resource on the outgoing side, i.e. the resource with the active predicate. The incoming side would discover the links with one of the discovery methods discussed in the following sections. Note the creation of the link may be initiated by both providers. In case that the link is initiated by the incoming side provider, it needs to store it with the resource on the outgoing side provider. This is discussed in the put on resources section.

Thanks

eran