Re: Link profiles

Robert Baillargeon

Indeed I agree that this is a good start to the discussion.  But as Jim identifies here we have some variability in the definition of where the link storage and inverse are stored.  If we go on the path that these are implementation-specific this will erode the value of OSLC and consistent integrations and portability for OSLC collaborations.  It needs to be formalized in the vocabularies of the standard or more desirable grow to a discovery method to allow for flexibility in the implementations that can arbitrate behaviors.

Basically put as we look at the future of OSLC for consistency and scalability we are going to need to support ...
  1. Vocabulary that includes link types, link storage location (local attribute, local & backlink, discovery) , and link inverse discovery mechanisms (trs index, oslc query, etc.)
  2. Domain vocabulary discovery so endpoints can declare, extend, and discover new domains.
I agree that there is a need near-term to better declare a profile that states the basics of a good collaborating OSLC end-point (rather than just an endpoint that consumes some OSLC interfaces).  But we also need to look to the future to better support PLM and other domain tools (rather than overloading AM) and have consistent patterns of interaction and UX experiences.

We are looking forward to collaborating on these.  Let's focus on the current baseline profiles, but we should be also starting to draft where we want to go so that we can recruit other tooling to the OSLC Enterprise.

Robert

Chief Product Officer – Linked Data

418 N. Main Street 2nd Floor/Suite 200, Royal Oak, Michigan 48067, USA
Ph: 716 261 8338
sodiuswillert.com

Try out our Jira and Confluence OSLC Tools on the Atlassian Marketplace

From: Andrii Berezovskyi <andriib@...>
Date: Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 11:49 AM
To: Eran Gery <eran.gery@...>, David Honey2 <david.honey@...>, Jim Amsden <jamsden@...>, "e.gentry@..." <e.gentry@...>
Cc: "oslc-op@..." <oslc-op@...>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Link profiles

Hi, I put together a simple table for the possible profiles after the call: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fjjGvHrv2yPru8S_6HNoJ5atn6617cUfFUDRz5xAfKQ/edit?usp=sharing Please look at them and tell me what you think. Thanks to Eran

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

Hi,

I put together a simple table for the possible profiles after the call: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fjjGvHrv2yPru8S_6HNoJ5atn6617cUfFUDRz5xAfKQ/edit?usp=sharing

Please look at them and tell me what you think. Thanks to Eran for taking extra time to explain some things to me.

/A

Join oslc-op@lists.oasis-open-projects.org to automatically receive all group messages.