Proposal to rename the "Open DXL Ontology" project to the "Open Security Ontology" project

Jason Keirstead

Fellow PGB members;

During the last PGB meeting, we discussed a work item brought forward by Mark Mastrangeli from McAfee, and further endorsed by Duncan Sparrell, myself, and others, to re-name the Open DXL Ontology project.

The rationale for doing this would be to make it much clearer that Open DXL is only one of multiple theoretical transports for the OCA work products and technologies, and while we will continue to support and endorse its use (and may use it in OCA sample and/or reference implementations), we also would entirely support other messaging systems as well (including perhaps using those systems in OCA sample and/or reference implementations.) Doing so could help clear up confusion and also potentially help recruit new  participation into the OCA from entities invested in other messaging systems.

There was no name decided upon at that meeting, but I would like to propose the name "Open Security Ontology". Why not "OCA Ontology"? Well, because I don't think you should not use an acronym in a project name, and "open-cybersecurity-alliance-ontology" is a bit ungainly. Also having the "OCA" make the "OCA Ontology" feels a little bit recursive. However, I do not feel strongly on this and if other PGB members prefer "OCA Ontology", I am happy to go in that direction.

On review of the Open Project rules and OCA governance - this change does not require a formal vote. It can be done by lazy consensus.

As such, I motion the following:

- That we re-name the OpenDXl Ontology project to the "Open Security Ontology Project"
- That references on the OCA website be updated to reflect the new name
- That the project on Github be renamed to "open-security-ontology"
- That we follow up and take action to rename other references we may come across.

Unless any objections are raised to this mailing list before next Wednesday, I will assume we can proceed with the above and endeavour to get this done in advance of the PGB meeting.

-
Jason Keirstead
Distinguished Engineer, CTO - IBM Security Threat Management
www.ibm.com/security

Co-Chair - Open Cybersecurity Alliance, Project Governing Board
www.opencybersecurityalliance.org

sfractal

Works for me. You only asked for objections, but I assume endorsements are ok.

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting LLC

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/

From: <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of "Jason Keirstead via lists.oasis-open-projects.org" <Jason.Keirstead=ca.ibm.com@...>
Date: Friday, March 26, 2021 at 8:10 AM
To: "oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Subject: [oca-pgb] Proposal to rename the "Open DXL Ontology" project to the "Open Security Ontology" project

[...]

Stephen Wood

Second the endorsement.

From: <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of "Jason Keirstead via lists.oasis-open-projects.org" <Jason.Keirstead=ca.ibm.com@...>
Date: Friday, March 26, 2021 at 8:10 AM
To: "oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>

[...]

Lodrina Cherne

Co-sign approval as well!

Lodrina Cherne

Principal Security Advocate

 Office | +1.855.695.8200

 Twitter  | @hexplates

 Pronouns |  she / her / hers

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this email communication, including without limitation, any attachments, is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity named above and others who have been specifically authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you may not review, copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication (or any attachment hereof) to others. Please notify the sender that you have received this e-mail communication in error by replying to the above e-mail address or telephone and delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:59 AM Stephen Wood via lists.oasis-open-projects.org <swood=tripwire.com@...> wrote:

Second the endorsement.

Works for me. You only asked for objections, but I assume endorsements are ok.

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting LLC

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at URL required further analyze open carefully ( if not sure , please contact Infosec team)/