Proposal for TSC Formation Process


Jason Keirstead
 

I would like to put forth the following proposal for how we will form the initial TSC of the OCA

- Goal would be to have the TSC appointed on or before November 15

- Nominations for initial TSC members be either emailed to the oca-pgb list, or submitted in the #pgb Slack channel of the OCA slack, before November 15

- Nomination would include a name and preferably a brief bio / why they would be a good TSC member

- If relevant, nomination should include a "project of primary focus" (STIX Shifter or Open DXL Ontology)

- I would propose that we should select no more than 7 TSC members at this point in time. In the event we receive more than 7 candidates prior to November 15, we will arrange an ad-hoc meeting of the PGB to select the initial TSC.

- We would allow the TSC itself to select their own chair (or co-chairs).


Would appreciate feedback on above proposal - does this make sense? I am attempting to balance getting off to a quick start with the need to have time for folks to put forward TSC members.

-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management
www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson


Carolyn Raab <carolyn.raab@...>
 

This works for Corsa.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 8:18 AM Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...> wrote:
I would like to put forth the following proposal for how we will form the initial TSC of the OCA

- Goal would be to have the TSC appointed on or before November 15

- Nominations for initial TSC members be either emailed to the oca-pgb list, or submitted in the #pgb Slack channel of the OCA slack, before November 15

- Nomination would include a name and preferably a brief bio / why they would be a good TSC member

- If relevant, nomination should include a "project of primary focus" (STIX Shifter or Open DXL Ontology)

- I would propose that we should select no more than 7 TSC members at this point in time. In the event we receive more than 7 candidates prior to November 15, we will arrange an ad-hoc meeting of the PGB to select the initial TSC.

- We would allow the TSC itself to select their own chair (or co-chairs).


Would appreciate feedback on above proposal - does this make sense? I am attempting to balance getting off to a quick start with the need to have time for folks to put forward TSC members.

-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management
www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson


sfractal
 

I am fine with TSC self-selecting cochairs but I think PGB should ratify their selection. I can’t conceive of any reason we wouldn’t ratify their choices but we are setting the precedents for the future so I think the PGB should keep the governance role and I consider leadership selection part of governance.

 

I am fine with 7-ish. If 8 people volunteered, I might lean more towards 8 members than having an election. But if more than 8 apply, then I’m ok with election for 7.

 

I would recommend two cochairs vs 1 chair if two people could be suckered into it.

 

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting LLC

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/

 

 

From: <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of "Carolyn Raab via Lists.Oasis-Open-Projects.Org" <carolyn.raab=corsa.com@...>
Reply-To: "oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Date: Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 12:49 PM
To: "oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Subject: Re: [oca-pgb] Proposal for TSC Formation Process

 

This works for Corsa.

 

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 8:18 AM Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...> wrote:

I would like to put forth the following proposal for how we will form the initial TSC of the OCA

- Goal would be to have the TSC appointed on or before November 15

- Nominations for initial TSC members be either emailed to the oca-pgb list, or submitted in the #pgb Slack channel of the OCA slack, before November 15

- Nomination would include a name and preferably a brief bio / why they would be a good TSC member

- If relevant, nomination should include a "project of primary focus" (STIX Shifter or Open DXL Ontology)

- I would propose that we should select no more than 7 TSC members at this point in time. In the event we receive more than 7 candidates prior to November 15, we will arrange an ad-hoc meeting of the PGB to select the initial TSC.

- We would allow the TSC itself to select their own chair (or co-chairs).


Would appreciate feedback on above proposal - does this make sense? I am attempting to balance getting off to a quick start with the need to have time for folks to put forward TSC members.

-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management
www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson


Jason Keirstead
 

The main reason I suggested 7 is to have an odd number so you can then always get quorum.

I have no issue if we want to say that we need to ratify the co-chair choices.

-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management
www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson




From:        "sfractal" <duncan@...>
To:        "oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Date:        10/24/2019 02:00 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [oca-pgb] Proposal for TSC Formation Process
Sent by:        oca-pgb@...



I am fine with TSC self-selecting cochairs but I think PGB should ratify their selection. I can’t conceive of any reason we wouldn’t ratify their choices but we are setting the precedents for the future so I think the PGB should keep the governance role and I consider leadership selection part of governance.

 

I am fine with 7-ish. If 8 people volunteered, I might lean more towards 8 members than having an election. But if more than 8 apply, then I’m ok with election for 7.

 

I would recommend two cochairs vs 1 chair if two people could be suckered into it.

 

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting LLC

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/

 

 

From: <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of "Carolyn Raab via Lists.Oasis-Open-Projects.Org" <carolyn.raab=corsa.com@...>
Reply-To:
"oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Date:
Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 12:49 PM
To:
"oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Subject:
Re: [oca-pgb] Proposal for TSC Formation Process

 

This works for Corsa.

 

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 8:18 AM Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...> wrote:

I would like to put forth the following proposal for how we will form the initial TSC of the OCA

- Goal would be to have the TSC appointed on or before November 15


- Nominations for initial TSC members be either emailed to the oca-pgb list, or submitted in the #pgb Slack channel of the OCA slack, before November 15


- Nomination would include a name and preferably a brief bio / why they would be a good TSC member


- If relevant, nomination should include a "project of primary focus" (STIX Shifter or Open DXL Ontology)


- I would propose that we should select no more than 7 TSC members at this point in time. In the event we receive more than 7 candidates prior to November 15, we will arrange an ad-hoc meeting of the PGB to select the initial TSC.


- We would allow the TSC itself to select their own chair (or co-chairs).



Would appreciate feedback on above proposal - does this make sense? I am attempting to balance getting off to a quick start with the need to have time for folks to put forward TSC members.


-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management

www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson






Chet Ensign
 

Jason, I would prefer the proposals to be made to the mailing list so that they are public information. Slack will be opaque to most people. If someone does make a nomination on Slack, then I'd ask you or Darren to forward that information on to the mailing list. 

I agree with keeping the number of members odd. It avoids ties. 

/chet

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 1:20 PM Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...> wrote:
The main reason I suggested 7 is to have an odd number so you can then always get quorum.

I have no issue if we want to say that we need to ratify the co-chair choices.

-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management
www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson




From:        "sfractal" <duncan@...>
To:        "oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Date:        10/24/2019 02:00 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [oca-pgb] Proposal for TSC Formation Process
Sent by:        oca-pgb@...



I am fine with TSC self-selecting cochairs but I think PGB should ratify their selection. I can’t conceive of any reason we wouldn’t ratify their choices but we are setting the precedents for the future so I think the PGB should keep the governance role and I consider leadership selection part of governance.

 

I am fine with 7-ish. If 8 people volunteered, I might lean more towards 8 members than having an election. But if more than 8 apply, then I’m ok with election for 7.

 

I would recommend two cochairs vs 1 chair if two people could be suckered into it.

 

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting LLC

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/

 

 

From: <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of "Carolyn Raab via Lists.Oasis-Open-Projects.Org" <carolyn.raab=corsa.com@...>
Reply-To:
"oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Date:
Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 12:49 PM
To:
"oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Subject:
Re: [oca-pgb] Proposal for TSC Formation Process

 

This works for Corsa.

 

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 8:18 AM Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...> wrote:

I would like to put forth the following proposal for how we will form the initial TSC of the OCA

- Goal would be to have the TSC appointed on or before November 15


- Nominations for initial TSC members be either emailed to the oca-pgb list, or submitted in the #pgb Slack channel of the OCA slack, before November 15


- Nomination would include a name and preferably a brief bio / why they would be a good TSC member


- If relevant, nomination should include a "project of primary focus" (STIX Shifter or Open DXL Ontology)


- I would propose that we should select no more than 7 TSC members at this point in time. In the event we receive more than 7 candidates prior to November 15, we will arrange an ad-hoc meeting of the PGB to select the initial TSC.


- We would allow the TSC itself to select their own chair (or co-chairs).



Would appreciate feedback on above proposal - does this make sense? I am attempting to balance getting off to a quick start with the need to have time for folks to put forward TSC members.


-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management

www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson







--

/chet 
----------------
Chet Ensign
Chief Technical Community Steward
OASIS: Advancing open source & open standards for the information society
http://www.oasis-open.org

Mobile: +1 201-341-1393 


Jason Keirstead
 

Hello everyone; I have not seen any response to this aside from Duncan and Carolyn;

Unless there are objections received by end of Monday Oct 28, I will assume the PGB approves this plan by unanimous consent and we will use the below amended process for TSC selection:

- Goal would be to have the TSC appointed on or before November 15

- Nominations for initial TSC members be either emailed to the oca-pgb list, or submitted in the #pgb Slack channel of the OCA slack, before November 15

- Nomination would include a name and preferably a brief bio / why they would be a good TSC member

- If relevant, nomination should include a "project of primary focus" (STIX Shifter or Open DXL Ontology)

- The PGB will endeavor to select no more than 7 TSC members at this point in time. If we recieve 7 or less nominations by November 15, that will constitute the TSC. In the event we receive more than 7 candidates prior to November 15, we will arrange an ad-hoc meeting of the PGB to select the initial TSC. (In that meeting, we may of course at our discretion choose to exceed 7).

- We will allow the TSC itself to select their own chair (or co-chairs), who they must submit to the PGB for ratification & approval.

- Upon creation of the TSC, we will create a TSC mailing list and private slack channel. All PGB members have the option to subscribe to the TSC mailing list and join the channel, if they so choose.



-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management
www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson




From:        "Jason Keirstead" <Jason.Keirstead@...>
To:        oca-pgb@...
Date:        10/24/2019 02:22 PM
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [oca-pgb] Proposal for TSC Formation Process
Sent by:        oca-pgb@...




The main reason I suggested 7 is to have an odd number so you can then always get quorum.

I have no issue if we want to say that we need to ratify the co-chair choices.


-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management

www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson




From:        
"sfractal" <duncan@...>
To:        
"oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Date:        
10/24/2019 02:00 PM
Subject:        
[EXTERNAL] Re: [oca-pgb] Proposal for TSC Formation Process
Sent by:        
oca-pgb@...


I am fine with TSC self-selecting cochairs but I think PGB should ratify their selection. I can’t conceive of any reason we wouldn’t ratify their choices but we are setting the precedents for the future so I think the PGB should keep the governance role and I consider leadership selection part of governance.

 

I am fine with 7-ish. If 8 people volunteered, I might lean more towards 8 members than having an election. But if more than 8 apply, then I’m ok with election for 7.

 

I would recommend two cochairs vs 1 chair if two people could be suckered into it.

 

Duncan Sparrell

sFractal Consulting LLC

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize

I welcome VSRE emails. Learn more at http://vsre.info/

 

 

From: <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of "Carolyn Raab via Lists.Oasis-Open-Projects.Org" <carolyn.raab=corsa.com@...>
Reply-To:
"oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Date:
Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 12:49 PM
To:
"oca-pgb@..." <oca-pgb@...>
Subject:
Re: [oca-pgb] Proposal for TSC Formation Process

 

This works for Corsa.

 

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 8:18 AM Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...> wrote:

I would like to put forth the following proposal for how we will form the initial TSC of the OCA

- Goal would be to have the TSC appointed on or before November 15

- Nominations for initial TSC members be either emailed to the oca-pgb list, or submitted in the #pgb Slack channel of the OCA slack, before November 15

- Nomination would include a name and preferably a brief bio / why they would be a good TSC member

- If relevant, nomination should include a "project of primary focus" (STIX Shifter or Open DXL Ontology)

- I would propose that we should select no more than 7 TSC members at this point in time. In the event we receive more than 7 candidates prior to November 15, we will arrange an ad-hoc meeting of the PGB to select the initial TSC.

- We would allow the TSC itself to select their own chair (or co-chairs).



Would appreciate feedback on above proposal - does this make sense? I am attempting to balance getting off to a quick start with the need to have time for folks to put forward TSC members.

-
Jason Keirstead
Chief Architect - IBM Security Threat Management

www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson