[OCA PGB] Meeting Minutes: 2020.01.27


Jory Burson
 

OCA PGB Meeting Minutes

January 27, 2020


Present: 

Jason Keirstead (IBM)

Carolyn Raab (Corsa Security)

Darren Thomas (McAfee)

Duncan Sparrell (sFractal)

Stephen Wood (Tripwire)

Pat Duggan (New Context)

Jory Burson (OASIS staff, Scribe)



1. RSA Discussion

  • Planning two Face to Face sessions at RSA: one private, one public
  • Need to do our agenda planning for the PGB face to face
  • Public session is promotional, includes refreshments/lunch
  • Sessions will be at the Intercontinental hotel next to the venue, space provided by McAfee
  • Marketing team has booth signage for members, laptop stickers and buttons
    • Make sure the output of the Marketing Committee makes it the PGB group
    • Will task Anshul to send minutes to the PGB list / update PGB reps on marketing activities
  • Darren: some plans to create content to include in presentations about OCA; OCA branded slide deck orgs can use
  • Duncan: Sandbox area / supply chain village looking for interesting input. May be a good fit. 
  •  Reminder: RSA marketing meeting call this afternoon. Subscribe to group to receive cal invites.


2. How to handle the Agenda for the face-to-face session

  • Would like to be able to accommodate dial-ins @ RSA Venue - looking into options
  • February PGB meeting will be at RSA. Will include call details in the meeting invite. 
  • Requests for the meeting?
    • Roadmap discussion for the projects
    • Call for action - doing this work in the open. Where do we need community focus?
    • General thoughts for encouraging public engineering discussions and work (promote interest from the dev community)
    • Use cases sessions
    • Brainstorming new project or contribution proposals - how can our members contribute in 2020
      • advocacy
      • contributing to existing projects
      • new research into a connected project


3. Status Update from Projects:

  • STIX-SHIFTER: Looking to talk about momentum for this project, lots of updates. Lots of forks.
  • OpenDXL Ontology: Upcoming press release will include the delivery of this work
  • Jason offered to set up time for those who need more of an orientation to the project work. 


4. TSC Formation

  • 11 respondents, all approved. This is good to move forward. This met the requirements for a simple majority vote. 
  • Jason has reached out to all the prospective TSC members, all have confirmed they are willing and able to serve.
  • Jason will close the ballot 
  • Discretion: this will be in the press release but the information will be public to those looking. Don’t tweet about it etc until the press release comes out
  • Will try to organize the first TSC meeting before RSA


5. Governance doc

  • has been under discussion for just over a month. 
  • Have comments been addressed to the groups satisfaction?
    • The group seems ready to proceed; ok to resolve comments
  • Jason will start a formal ballot (it isn’t required, but seems prudent to make sure any last minute concerns are captured).


6. AOB Topics

  • Once we form the TSC, how do we put it on our website (recognize the TSC orgs)
    • Put the TSC on the main page with headshots & affiliations
  • carve out an evangelist role for the OCA? Someone from McAfee would like to help out with evangelism and recruitment (usage, community contributions)
    • should we start with the volunteer, or form a sub committee?
    • Duncan: is this different from marketing? Does it possibly detract from the openness aspect.
    • Darren: this role would be focused on implementing the output as opposed to marketing awareness
    • Duncan: I worry about the optics - is this a McAfee sales guy?
    • jason: We’ve got to get the ball rolling on non-McAfee or IBM contributions. This will really be the risk mitigator.
    • Stephen: can we put the resource in marketing so we don’t further hurt the red/blue problem
    • Jason: aligning it under the TSC would make sense
    • Darren: would that present a problem: too many McAfee people on the TSC
    • Jason: we would have this person report to the TSC, not be on the TSC
    • Duncan: I like that idea. The resource serves the TSC to promote the output of the TSC. 
    • Darren: That would serve the purpose. It should probably be a group rather than a role
    • Jason: when we have the initial TSC meeting in the next few weeks, let's bring this up and bring Mark into that conversation 
  • discussion of publicity of minutes
    • default to open, will close minutes if needed for executive session


Meeting Concludes



Corrections Welcome!

--
OASIS Open Projects Program Manager
Pronouns: She / Her


Jory Burson
 

Correction: We did not hold this meeting in the future. Meeting date is Jan. 23 not Jan. 27!


On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 1:13 PM Jory Burson via Lists.Oasis-Open-Projects.Org <jory.burson=oasis-open.org@...> wrote:

OCA PGB Meeting Minutes

January 27, 2020


Present: 

Jason Keirstead (IBM)

Carolyn Raab (Corsa Security)

Darren Thomas (McAfee)

Duncan Sparrell (sFractal)

Stephen Wood (Tripwire)

Pat Duggan (New Context)

Jory Burson (OASIS staff, Scribe)



1. RSA Discussion

  • Planning two Face to Face sessions at RSA: one private, one public
  • Need to do our agenda planning for the PGB face to face
  • Public session is promotional, includes refreshments/lunch
  • Sessions will be at the Intercontinental hotel next to the venue, space provided by McAfee
  • Marketing team has booth signage for members, laptop stickers and buttons
    • Make sure the output of the Marketing Committee makes it the PGB group
    • Will task Anshul to send minutes to the PGB list / update PGB reps on marketing activities
  • Darren: some plans to create content to include in presentations about OCA; OCA branded slide deck orgs can use
  • Duncan: Sandbox area / supply chain village looking for interesting input. May be a good fit. 
  •  Reminder: RSA marketing meeting call this afternoon. Subscribe to group to receive cal invites.


2. How to handle the Agenda for the face-to-face session

  • Would like to be able to accommodate dial-ins @ RSA Venue - looking into options
  • February PGB meeting will be at RSA. Will include call details in the meeting invite. 
  • Requests for the meeting?
    • Roadmap discussion for the projects
    • Call for action - doing this work in the open. Where do we need community focus?
    • General thoughts for encouraging public engineering discussions and work (promote interest from the dev community)
    • Use cases sessions
    • Brainstorming new project or contribution proposals - how can our members contribute in 2020
      • advocacy
      • contributing to existing projects
      • new research into a connected project


3. Status Update from Projects:

  • STIX-SHIFTER: Looking to talk about momentum for this project, lots of updates. Lots of forks.
  • OpenDXL Ontology: Upcoming press release will include the delivery of this work
  • Jason offered to set up time for those who need more of an orientation to the project work. 


4. TSC Formation

  • 11 respondents, all approved. This is good to move forward. This met the requirements for a simple majority vote. 
  • Jason has reached out to all the prospective TSC members, all have confirmed they are willing and able to serve.
  • Jason will close the ballot 
  • Discretion: this will be in the press release but the information will be public to those looking. Don’t tweet about it etc until the press release comes out
  • Will try to organize the first TSC meeting before RSA


5. Governance doc

  • has been under discussion for just over a month. 
  • Have comments been addressed to the groups satisfaction?
    • The group seems ready to proceed; ok to resolve comments
  • Jason will start a formal ballot (it isn’t required, but seems prudent to make sure any last minute concerns are captured).


6. AOB Topics

  • Once we form the TSC, how do we put it on our website (recognize the TSC orgs)
    • Put the TSC on the main page with headshots & affiliations
  • carve out an evangelist role for the OCA? Someone from McAfee would like to help out with evangelism and recruitment (usage, community contributions)
    • should we start with the volunteer, or form a sub committee?
    • Duncan: is this different from marketing? Does it possibly detract from the openness aspect.
    • Darren: this role would be focused on implementing the output as opposed to marketing awareness
    • Duncan: I worry about the optics - is this a McAfee sales guy?
    • jason: We’ve got to get the ball rolling on non-McAfee or IBM contributions. This will really be the risk mitigator.
    • Stephen: can we put the resource in marketing so we don’t further hurt the red/blue problem
    • Jason: aligning it under the TSC would make sense
    • Darren: would that present a problem: too many McAfee people on the TSC
    • Jason: we would have this person report to the TSC, not be on the TSC
    • Duncan: I like that idea. The resource serves the TSC to promote the output of the TSC. 
    • Darren: That would serve the purpose. It should probably be a group rather than a role
    • Jason: when we have the initial TSC meeting in the next few weeks, let's bring this up and bring Mark into that conversation 
  • discussion of publicity of minutes
    • default to open, will close minutes if needed for executive session


Meeting Concludes



Corrections Welcome!

--
OASIS Open Projects Program Manager
Pronouns: She / Her



--
OASIS Open Projects Program Manager
Pronouns: She / Her