Slack Free Plan Changes & OCA

Jason Keirstead

Slack is making changes to their free tier, which now will limit history to only 90 days. Previously, the free tier allowed 10K messages, which for the OCA gave us much longer than 90 days of message history.

https://slack.com/help/articles/7050776459923-Pricing-changes-for-the-Pro-plan-and-updates-to-the-Free-plan

We have a few options:

  • We can do nothing and live with the 90 day history. Personally I do not like this option.
  • We can switch to another platform with no such limits, like Discord
  • We can work with OASIS and PGB sponsors to see if we can figure out how to pay for our Slack including premier sponsorships. At current prices that would be ~ $10,000 month for all OCA users (seems a bit pricey to me)

Suggest we discuss out of band during this email trail and we can field options at the next PGB call.

-
Jason Keirstead
Distinguished Engineer, CTO - IBM Security Threat Management |
www.ibm.com/security

Declare an Emergency: USA +1 888 241 9812, Global +1 312 212 8034

Assistant - Mauricio Durán Cambronero (mauduran@...)

See my calendar - https://ibm.biz/jkcalendar

Co-Chair - Open Cybersecurity Alliance, Project Governing Board

www.opencybersecurityalliance.org

Jason Keirstead

Hi everyone – I just realized that, because these changes come into effect Sept. 1, we don’t really have time to wait until next month’s PGB meeting.

I am going to set up an ad-hoc call to discuss this, if you can attend please do. It may be an issue we just need to take to our community ASAP

-

From: oca-pgb@... <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2022 at 4:54 PM
To: oca-pgb@... <oca-pgb@...>, Claudia Rauch <claudia.rauch@...>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [oca-pgb] Slack Free Plan Changes & OCA

Slack is making changes to their free tier, which now will limit history to only 90 days. Previously, the free tier allowed 10K messages, which for the OCA gave us much longer than 90 days of message history. ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

[...]

Adam Montville

Hi Jason,

I’ll do my best to attend. A question that could be answered ahead of time to inform our decision process: How often do we (OCA as group on average) rely on historical Slack messages?

Kind regards,

Adam

From: oca-pgb@... <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2022 at 4:54 PM
To: oca-pgb@... <oca-pgb@...>, Claudia Rauch <claudia.rauch@...>

[...]

This message and attachments may contain confidential information. If it appears that this message was sent to you by mistake, any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and attachments is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

. . . . .

Jason Keirstead

We should not be “relying” on them for anything – decisions need to be audited somewhere, such as the mailing list or on Github, or recorded meetings – but the issue is one of optics.

If we went and wiped out all OCA slack messages > 30 days old – our slack would appear mostly dead, because our conversations are good but highly sporadic.

-

From: oca-pgb@... <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2022 at 4:54 PM
To: oca-pgb@... <oca-pgb@...>, Claudia Rauch <claudia.rauch@...>

Slack is making changes to their free tier, which now will limit history to only 90 days. Previously, the free tier allowed 10K messages, which for the OCA gave us much longer than 90 days of message history. ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

Slack is making changes to their free tier, which now will limit history to only 90 days. Previously, the free tier allowed 10K messages, which for the OCA gave us much longer than 90 days of message history.

https://slack.com/help/articles/7050776459923-Pricing-changes-for-the-Pro-plan-and-updates-to-the-Free-plan

We have a few options:

  1. We can do nothing and live with the 90 day history. Personally I do not like this option.
  2. We can switch to another platform with no such limits, like Discord
  3. We can work with OASIS and PGB sponsors to see if we can figure out how to pay for our Slack including premier sponsorships. At current prices that would be ~ $10,000 month for all OCA users (seems a bit pricey to me)

[...]

Mark Mastrangeli

We need to talk to Slack. Oasis should negotiate with Slack. I’m happy to give it a try on behalf.

Best Regards,
Mark Mastrangeli
mark@...
Direct: (214) 991-7675

Co-Chair - Open Cybersecurity Alliance, Project Governing Board
www.opencybersecurityalliance.org

~Please excuse brevity and typographical errors. Sent from mobile device.

From: oca-pgb@... <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2022 at 4:54 PM
To: oca-pgb@... <oca-pgb@...>, Claudia Rauch <claudia.rauch@...>

[...]

Tenzir GmbH, Nagelsweg 41, 20097 Hamburg, Germany | +49 40 209337260 | Commercial Register Hamburg, HRB 148081 | VAT DE314897407 | Managing Director: Matthias Vallentin, PhD

duncan@sfractal

I’m fine with dropping slack period. I’m also fine with using free-short and assuming no history at all ( if you want to keep, copy into email). I’m not keen on paying - I just don’t see the value.

Duncan

iPhone, iTypo, iApologize