Re: Slack Free Plan Changes & OCA

Jason Keirstead

Hi everyone – I just realized that, because these changes come into effect Sept. 1, we don’t really have time to wait until next month’s PGB meeting.

I am going to set up an ad-hoc call to discuss this, if you can attend please do. It may be an issue we just need to take to our community ASAP

-
Jason Keirstead
Distinguished Engineer, CTO - IBM Security Threat Management | www.ibm.com/security

Declare an Emergency: USA +1 888 241 9812, Global +1 312 212 8034

Assistant - Mauricio Durán Cambronero (mauduran@...)

See my calendar - https://ibm.biz/jkcalendar

Co-Chair - Open Cybersecurity Alliance, Project Governing Board

www.opencybersecurityalliance.org

From: oca-pgb@... <oca-pgb@...> on behalf of Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@...>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2022 at 4:54 PM
To: oca-pgb@... <oca-pgb@...>, Claudia Rauch <claudia.rauch@...>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [oca-pgb] Slack Free Plan Changes & OCA

Slack is making changes to their free tier, which now will limit history to only 90 days. Previously, the free tier allowed 10K messages, which for the OCA gave us much longer than 90 days of message history. ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

Slack is making changes to their free tier, which now will limit history to only 90 days. Previously, the free tier allowed 10K messages, which for the OCA gave us much longer than 90 days of message history.

https://slack.com/help/articles/7050776459923-Pricing-changes-for-the-Pro-plan-and-updates-to-the-Free-plan

We have a few options:

  • We can do nothing and live with the 90 day history. Personally I do not like this option.
  • We can switch to another platform with no such limits, like Discord
  • We can work with OASIS and PGB sponsors to see if we can figure out how to pay for our Slack including premier sponsorships. At current prices that would be ~ $10,000 month for all OCA users (seems a bit pricey to me)

Suggest we discuss out of band during this email trail and we can field options at the next PGB call.

-

Join oca-pgb@lists.oasis-open-projects.org to automatically receive all group messages.